Friday, November 19, 2010

Pumpkin Pie... Round 2 & Pastry Flour



Okay, true confession time. When I was typing the recipe in my last post I realized that I had misread the ingredients for the pie filling. Instead of 3/4 cup brown sugar, I thought it said 1/4 cup. Blame it on the bifocals. Yeah, that works for me. That, along with the fact that I had completely forgotten to try my new pastry flour, is the reason why I decided to make another pie. The one with not enough brown sugar looked pretty, but it did not really taste very good. If I had tasted the filling I would have noticed it wasn't right. I don't know why I didn't, I usually am all over tasting stuff. Needless to say we each tried a piece and the rest ended up in the trash. If I had a nickel for every time I had to throw something in the trash because I screwed it up, well, I would definitely be able to quit my day job. So... here we go again!

Here's the scoop on the pastry flour. Arrowhead Mills Organic Whole Grain Pasty Flour. I found it at Whole Foods. See there in the background how I already have my oven preheated to 450 like a good girl? Yep, I'm doing it right this time.



This is a whole grain flour made from spring wheat, which is softer and has less gluten than the hard winter wheat used to make all-purpose flour. It is supposed to be better for pastries and cakes because of it's lighter texture. I like that it's whole grain. I admit I don't really care about it being organic, but I know that is important to some people so I consider it a plus. My favorite thing is that it's made from wheat grown in Colorado. I love anything to do with Colorado.

I can tell the difference in the color of the dough with this flour.



When I partially baked the crust, I noticed the edges had already started to brown. I usually use one of those pie shields to keep the crust from over-baking, but since this filling recipe fills even a deep dish pie pan almost to the top, a pie shield would leave it's mark in the finished pie. That will never do, because it has to look pretty. The good thing is that the crust didn't puff up during the pre-baking process. I'm much happier when I don't have to do an intervention with my food.



I made the same pumpkin-eggnog filling as before, only this time I made sure I did it right and tasted it. Yum. I also am 2 for 2 on getting it into the oven without spilling. Yay me... yeah right. Guess who forgot to reset the oven timer after she turned the heat down to 300? I guess I really did need to practice before turkey day after all. All is well though, with a little babysitting it all turned out just fine.

This pie is much prettier than the other one.



All dressed up and ready for tasting.



The filling on this one is wonderful, with just the right amount of sweetness and spice. The crust... well, let's just say I am disappointed. It looks good and is flaky enough, but I think the whole grain makes it more coarse rather than that nice delicate flakiness you expect in a good pie crust. I also think the whole wheat flavor is too strong. The crust should complement the filling, not compete with it. If you use a lot of whole grain products you might like this, but I'm really glad I tested this now before I crank out all my Thanksgiving pies next week.

If anyone out there wants to borrow a cup or two of pastry flour... call me.

No comments:

Post a Comment