Monday, September 3, 2012

Chili Rellenos Casserole

Adapted from allrecipes.com


I don't know anyone who doesn't like Mexican food. I sure do, although for me it also serves as yet another vehicle for sour cream. This recipe sounded really good, and looked easy enough that I thought it would be worth a try, and I was right. It's similar to a lasagna with layers of mild green chilies surrounding a thick layer of melted cheese, and a custard-like batter to hold it all together. The plain tomato sauce compliments it perfectly, and it tasted even better re-heated a couple of days later. If you love Mexican food but don't like or can't tolerate the spicy heat, then this is perfect.

I did run into a few snags along the way though, so my adjustments are in parentheses. Here is the original recipe as it appears on allrecipes.com:

2-7oz cans whole green chilies, drained (I recommend 3-10oz cans)
8 oz grated Monterey Jack cheese
8 oz grated Longhorn or cheddar cheese
(buy a 16 oz brick of each and grate it yourself until you have as much as you would like)
2 eggs, beaten
1 5oz can evaporated milk
2 Tbsp flour
1/2 cup milk
1-8oz can tomato sauce

You are supposed to use a 9 x 13" pan, but I used an 8 x 8" square pan and still didn't have enough green chilies even though I had purchased larger 10 oz cans.


I also used a lot more cheese, and I sprinkled the remaining cheese on top of the tomato sauce so it would have that last 15 minutes of baking time to get all melty-ooey-gooey. The chopped green onions were my own addition because we eat with our eyes before anything hits our mouth, and this needed an extra pop of color.

Alright then, here's what you need to do to get this going so you can eat...

Prep your 8 x 8 inch baking dish/pan with cooking spray, or line with non-stick aluminum foil.

Lay half of the green chilies evenly in the bottom of the pan.


Grate up your cheeses and sprinkle half of it over the chilies.



Lay the remaining chilies on top of the cheese. At this point I ran out of chilies, so I raided my stash of chopped green chilies I always have in my pantry and used them.


Now, mix the milk, eggs, flour and evaporated milk together and pour over the top.


Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes then remove from the oven. It will be a little brown around the edges but will look more like a custard.


Spread the tomato sauce evenly over the top.


Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top of the tomato sauce and bake an additional 15 minutes.


Let it rest for 10 minutes or so before cutting. Sprinkle with chopped green onions, smear with sour cream if you like, and serve.


Yum.


nom nom nom...
























No comments:

Post a Comment