Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Rosemary Chicken Fried Chicken



In between all the holiday goodies we still need to eat real food. I've been on kind of a chicken kick lately, so tonight I made my own version of Chicken Fried Chicken. Yes, I actually thought of a recipe all by myself! What sets this apart from your everyday chicken fried chicken is that I use Rosemary flavored crackers for the crust.

Carr's Rosemary crackers:



You could use any kind of crackers you like, but I love the Rosemary crackers because they perfectly compliment the chicken. The only other seasoning I add is a little salt and pepper on the chicken before I coat it.

Here's what you will need to make this:


Tenderized chicken breasts

1 box Carr's Rosemary crackers

1 cup flour

2 eggs, beaten with a tablespoon of water added

salt and pepper

Oil for frying (I use Canola oil)


Crush the crackers in a ziploc bag using a rolling pin. See how pretty they are with those little bits of Rosemary? Can you even see the little bits of Rosemary? Trust me, they are there. The crackers look and smell so good I almost hate to destroy them.



Crush the crackers as finely as you can. Turn the bag over and crush them some more. Think about someone who made you mad today, it's more satisfying that way. They should look something like this:



Prepare your flour and egg wash. I used 1 cup of flour for the two chicken breasts I used. Adjust the amount as needed depending on how much you are making. Beat the eggs and water together in a separate pan. Heat the oil while you are prepping the chicken. Did you notice the white stuff in the pan of oil? It's true, I confess... I snuck a few pats of butter into the oil. Because I'm sneaky like that. Call it stealth butter.



Lightly salt and pepper your chicken. You don't need very much because the crackers are salted, but this is your only chance to season the chicken. I bought this chicken already tenderized and pre-packaged at my HyVee store, but if that's not available you can ask them to tenderize for you or do it yourself if you like to beat your food into submission. These are bigger than they look, one is more than enough for two people. I made two, but they are great as leftovers, they are even good cold. I'm guessing it will take us about 3 days to eat this.



Dredge the seasoned chicken in the flour and shake off the excess. Next, dip it in the egg wash. The flour helps the egg wash stick, and together they will act like a "glue" that will hold the cracker crumbs on the chicken, giving you a beautiful, thick, yummy crust. Dip it into the cracker crumbs last, making sure every bit of the chicken is coated and then shake off the excess crumbs. Place it in the hot oil and stand back while magic happens. If your pieces are big like these, cook them one at a time. Crowded food doesn't brown as well.



When the first side is nicely browned, very carefully turn it over. You might even want to cut the pieces in half to make them easier to work with. Just be careful that you don't splash the hot oil all over the place.



When the second side is browned (it won't take as long as the first side) carefully remove from the pan and place on a paper towel lined plate to drain the excess oil. When this is on the plate you can really appreciate how big these are. They didn't look that big when I bought them, but by the time you do the crust they are huge!



Serve with your favorite veggies and dig in!

Now... back to the cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment